Top round steak is a portion taken from the hind leg of a cow. It is considered as a ‘primal cut.’ It means that this portion is amongst the first few portions that are cut from a cow when it is butchered.
This is a tender portion of meat and has more rich natural flavors than other lean pieces of the meat. Buying this is not so expensive also. So, it is quite an economical option if you are going to grill a top round steak in larger quantity or for more people.
When this meat is portioned into thick slabs, it is then called London Broil. When it is cut into thin slices, it is called Swiss Steak, and in countries like Canada, this portion of beef is often called ‘Inside Round.’
Many people make some mistakes while grilling this portion of meat, but if you take the following steps, you will surely end up making an extremely delicious and succulent beef.
If you are looking for a solution to how to grill a top round steak, you must follow these steps:
Before marinating it, you will have to prepare it in such a way that it is very easy to grill without losing all its natural flavors.
First off, you will have to trim the fat off its edges.
Trimming the fat is necessary, otherwise, it can cause flare-ups when you put it in the grill. Also, it will give a clean cut to this portion of meat and will prevent the chewy parts of fat from coming in your mouth and spoiling the flavor of the meat for you.
However, do not remove the marbling, or the thin channels of fat that run through the center of the meat. This marbling enhances the natural flavors of the steak and will help in cooking too.
Prepare a delicious marinade:
Although this portion of meat is quite tender already, if you add a meat tenderizer to your marinade, it will make it easier to cook and more flavorful too.
Add any spices and herbs that you like and with a base of yogurt or some lime, prepare a wet marinade. Spread it out evenly on the meat.
It is better to keep the marinated beef in the fridge overnight, or at least 6-4 hours before cooking.
Make sure that your marinated steak is not lying open and uncovered in the fridge. Either use a container with an airtight lid or use zip lock bags to put keep the marinated food all protected. There are at times many other food items in the fridge also. So, it is always better to cover your marinated uncooked food so that its aroma or smell does not stick to other food items too and spoil their taste.
Keeping it uncovered in the fridge will spread out its aroma and other items in the fridge may also catch on this smell, which may become unpleasant too.
You must flip your steak in the marinade at regular intervals too so that the marinade reaches every surface of the steak evenly, and the steak is completely saturated.
Do not use a fork while turning your steak over as it may damage the structure of the meat in cases of extremely thin slices.
It is always better to use tongs to flip them in their marinade.
Preparation to grill the marinated top round steak:
- Take the marinated beef out of the fridge at least one hour before grilling.
- When you take out the marinade, make sure to blot it and dry it on a power towel. Then, sprinkle some salt and pepper on the steak for some added flavors.
- Now, inside the grill, make sure that its grates are clean, and no residues of previous cooking sessions are remaining.
- In case of using a gas grill, make sure that your gas tank has enough gas and doesn’t require refilling during the grilling session.
- Also, remember to pre-heat your grill if you are using a propane gas grill for at least 15 minutes before putting the marinated beef on the grill.
- Once the grill is heated enough, adjust the heat to medium-high.
- Now, put the meat inside the grill with the help of tongs. Again, make sure to use tongs to turn it in the grill if needed. Using forks will shred the steak and it will also prevent the flavors to lock inside the meat in a much better and desirable way.
- If you are using a charcoal grill or a wood pellet grill, you must keep the door of the grill open. But if you are using a gas grill, then it is better if you close it completely to lock in all the smoky flavors and allowing their taste to become much more enhanced.
- You can use wood chips of different flavors like applewood, cherry wood, hickory, etc. for more intense smoke to reach the meat while it is grilling. It will make enrich it with all the smoky goodness and rich aroma that you may love to have.
- For different sizes of meat slices, different temperatures for cooking are required. However, it tastes the best when it is cooked to a medium-rare perfection at around 130-135 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are cooking a medium steak, temperature should go to 140 -145 degrees Fahrenheit maximum.
- If you increase the temperature too much, it will dry the meat out, and that is something that you would not want.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the inside temperature of the meat. Once it reaches the desired temperature, it means that it should be taken out from the grill now.
- When the steak is in the resting phase, its internal temperature rises another 5 degrees at least.
- Wait for a while before slicing it into different pieces.
- Make sure that you slice the steak in thin portions and against the grain of the meat. This will help in promoting the tenderness of the beefy goodness and the richness of your food.